Wednesday, June 8, 2011

More Platinum printing

Making platinum prints can be very rewarding and very frustrating at the same time. Since getting back into doing the Pt/Pd printing a few weeks ago I have really nailed down my process to where I can make very good, not Master printer good, but the best I have made in the year of tinkering around. In all I have made 8 prints that I would be proud to show off. If you know me I am very fussy about my prints both Inkjet and now Pt/Pd. That is until last weekend. I was getting low on paper so I ordered a some new paper to print on. Now paper is the one thing that Alternative process printers can’t control. We are at the mercy of the mills. If they change something we need to adapt. Well this new batch of paper is slightly different than before. Also it was hot outside and with my pregnant wife at the controls for the air conditioner the house was much dryer and cooler than the previous weeks. Yes a 10% change in relative humidity can make a world of difference in how your prints turn out. So all in all last weekend I made 7 prints (all this practice and I’m getting faster at making prints) and I would say 4 are junk destined for the shredder. I am planning on trying to pre humidify the paper this weekend. I rigged up a homemade, most everything in this process is, paper humidifier box so we will see if that helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment