Sunday, January 18, 2009

Day Eleven Maui '09


As I sit here unable to sleep with anticipation for the trip home, I am reflecting on our trip to the beautiful island of Maui. The day we left Minnesota we both never thought we would get here. Now it is time to go home. We both had tons of fun.

Angela was pretty sick the first half of the trip. She was a little trooper. Never complained just went along and tried to have as much fun as she could. I felt sorry for her. It’s hard to see someone you love feeling so crappy when you are having so much fun. We took things slow for the first four or five days until she started feeling better. She fought off her cold like a soldier than she was back to normal. Having fun and making me laugh.

We got to see a lot of stuff this time. When we were on Maui three years ago it was for a week on our honeymoon. We saw a lot then and even more this time. We took lots of sunrise walks on the beach, nether of us could sleep much past 6:00 Maui time. Although it got harder to get up early as the vacation comes to an end. I think we drove just about everywhere you could this trip. There is so much to see that it’s easy to spend a few hours a day exploring a different part of the island.

We got out whale watching twice this time. The first time was great. A calm ocean and lots of whales. The second time, not so much. Big waves (big for a Minnesota kid) and few whales. The boat crew did a good job. It was just so hard for them to see the whales with all the chop and strong winds. It made for a fun boat ride! Thankfully none of us got seasick. I think Angela’s favorite part (other than shopping for new jewelry) is seeing the whales. She is like a little kid when she sees one. At one point we had a whale directly under our boat on the first trip and she was able to put a mask on and stick her head under the water to see the whale in the water. She said it was on of the coolest things she has ever seen. It makes me happy when I see her get so excited about seeing the whales.

The weather was great. As long as you staid on land towards the end of our trip. It only rained two days and neither day was a complete washout. It was nice to have the windows open and hear the rain. Rather than having the house all closed up and looking out side at the snow falling. One benefit of all the wind we have had was big waves. If you never have seen a wave twenty some feet tall come crashing into shore you are missing out. There is no way to describe the sound and power behind these things. I take my hat off to the surfers who are brave enough to go out and face these things head on. We were out in some that were probably six feet and those waves had there way with us. I can hear the waves still as I type this, and we are a five minute walk from the beach.

The food was good. We tried to eat in as much as we could. Our condo had a kitchen, which is nice. But the times we went out the food was great. Our most expensive meal was probably our worst. Horrible service and mediocre at best food. Our best was a cheeseburger and our most fun was a Japanese steak house. The people here are great. Very friendly always a smile, often an aloha. Even when we drove down a road we shouldn’t have the lady that stopped us very politely told us to turn around and that we shouldn’t be here. She even said thank you.

I took a lot of pictures over 30 GB. Not very many from a photographers point but enough when you are on vacation with your wife over you’re anniversary. Ang is really good when it comes to me taking pictures. She doesn’t like it when she is walking along thinking she is talking to me only to turn around and see me taking pictures of something. But when I show her the picture on the back of the camera she usually forgives me. When I do take pictures I try and keep it short. She will often sit and wait patiently for me while I do my thing. I try not to push it and am getting pretty good at telling when she has had enough and its time to move on. Maybe I will do a post on trying to be a photographer with a non photographer spouse. But she is a good little assistant. Carrying a tripod or extra backpack full of stuff when I need her to.

That’s enough I think for now. Next step is to check out of our place and start making our way to the airport for the big LONG trip home. It will be good to see all of you again when we get back. We look forward to seeing you all and moving on to the next stage in our lives. Parenthood.

Aloha from Maui, see you in Minnesota!!!

1 comment:

  1. Matt, as I read your blog, it makes me realize that I need to do more of the same: reflect, give thanks, and make the most out of every moment I'm on this earth. No matter where you are or who you're with (a bonus if it's your wife), take it all in and most of all, never take it for granted.

    Thanks for the inspiring words and photos.

    Your friend,
    David

    ReplyDelete